This program is aimed at sponsored families and youth to facilitate an easier integration into the community.
Services Offered for Families:
- Homework clubs
- One of our settlement counsellors is currently visiting Notre Dame High School on Tuesday afternoons to assist newcomer students with English. The WHC&MC is looking to partner with additional schools that believe this program could help their students. If you are or have a student that would benefit from attending a homework club, please call 905 732 5337 ext 122.
- Family-to-family mentorship
- The mentorship program offers the opportunity for sponsored families to learn about Canadian culture from Canadians, and share their culture with Canadian families. The aim of this partnership is to connect newcomers with community members to facilitate social connectivity.
- Conversation Circles
- Conversation circles run every Monday from 12pm-1pm and give newcomers an opportunity to engage in informal conversation to practice english. Click here for more information.
- Translation services
- We offer translation and advocacy for newcomers to reduce barriers to service at local organizations. If you require this service please call 905 732 5337 ext 122.
- Weekly youth meetings
- We provide a youth friendly space for newcomers and Canadian youths to meet weekly and discuss issues that are important for them, undergo leadership training, and prepare for their futures.
- Employment Assistance
- Our Employment Solutions office assists with job searching, professional mentorship, and certification workshops to help newcomers begin successful careers.
- Volunteer Placement Assistance
- We assist newcomers of all ages to find meaningful volunteer work in the community to help them grow their professional networks, get experience in a field they care about, and/or complete volunteer hours required for school.
- Ready to Rent
- The Ready to Rent program is a series of six, two hour workshops to tell newcomers everything that they need to know to be prepared to rent an apartment or home in Canada. Dates coming soon!
Services Offered for Sponsors:
- Support for Sponsors
- We assist sponsors to empower the families that they have sponsored and help break down any communication barriers. We also provide any information that sponsors may need to assist the families that they have sponsored. We set up strategic meetings with Sponsors to help plan for the future of their families, and prepare to transition to Month 13.
Please call 905-732-5337 ext 122 for more information about any of these services. We are happy to offer these services throughout the Niagara region and are able to travel within the region to meet the needs of clients.