Family Law Education and Support Program
The Family Law Education and Support worker meets with people throughout the Niagara Region (Niagara Falls, Welland, St. Catharines and Fort Erie) and can:
* Provide basic legal information and education to newcomers relating to Family and Criminal law to ensure they are aware of the Canadian Legal System standards
* Help fill out court forms and other legal documentation relating to family matters where domestic violence is present
* Provide referrals to appropriate community service agencies
* Provide support for men and women who may be exhibiting signs of frustration and anger
* Provide support for newcomers living in an abusive home
* Coordinate efforts with other service agencies to ensure safety and support of newcomers from domestic violence situations
* Provide educational information sessions on legal issues such as Common-law relationships, Marriage, Separation, Divorce and how these issues relate to your Immigration status
* Provide educational information sessions to Community Agencies to raise awareness of issues that newcomers are dealing with specifically focused on how it relates to domestic violence.
If you are a Newcomer to Canada and answer yes to any of these questions we may be able to help:
* Are you feeling angry, sad or frustrated with moving to a new country?
* Have you been yelling at, hitting, or controlling your family members?
* Has a family member been yelling at you, hitting you, or controlling you?
* Have you been dealing with someone else's anger?
* Does everything feel overwhelming?
* Are you confused about what Canada's customs and laws are?
* Are you currently dealing with a Family or Criminal legal situation that you don’t understand?
Benefits for Newcomers:
* Learn about Canadian customs and laws
* Have a safe place to talk about your issues
* Receive support, encouragement and tools to help you during the migration process to prevent frustrations from becoming abuse
* Avoid trouble with the law through education about legal practices in Canada
How to contact the Family Law Education and Support worker for an intake or to book a presentation for your organization:
Family Law Education and Support
Welland Heritage Council – 26 East Main St., Welland
Phone: 905 732 5337
Fax: 905 732 0212